Friday, August 20, 2010

NATIONAL TOUR: ENSEMBLE?

Back in the days of my early 20's, attempting to make a living in NYC, fighting with the constant conundrum of "Do I keep a roof over my head" or "Should I really start paying off these Student Loans?".

I was working part time as a receptionist and office assistant for Richard Frankel Productions (Hairspray; The Producers; Stomp; Young Frankenstein) when I get a call from the secretary of Candlewood International Productions.

"We'd like to offer you the role of Lancelot in our National Tour production of CAMELOT!"
"Sure! Send me the information and I'll get it right back to you!"

Without hesitation I leave my desk call my mother and she screams outrageously over the phone.

"It's Lancelot, right?!"
"That's what the lady said! I'm assuming that since that's what I auditioned for?"
"Oh... Okay, well call me back once you get the details"

Sure enough, I check my email and there it is!

LANCELOT COVER... Hmmmm...

I called the office back...

"Hi, there must have been some confusion, I thought you were offering me the role of Lancelot?"
"Oh no, we'd like you to be in the ensemble and be the Lancelot cover"
"Sorry, I can't afford to leave my job and my apartment for an ensemble role"

Now, I know what you're thinking, but don't scoff at me just yet, this was not an ego trip that I was on, I was barely making ends meet, I was working 2 1/2 jobs before the summer, had just gotten back from a summer stock and found a new job and although a National Tour is still a good thing, I had a little pride and I really couldn't afford to leave the city AGAIN just to put "NATIONAL TOUR: ENSEMBLE" on my resume.

Full of dismay I went back to work, I had been so excited, I had a scale of plans from the time I graduated college that included getting onto a National Tour and I felt like my dreams just punched me in the gut.

Luckily, not two days later, I got another phone call...

"Hi, sorry about before, we DO want to offer you the role of Lancelot on our Tour!"
"Are you sure?
"Yes, I got it right this time"
"Good, because I can't go through another pint of Ben and Jerry's"

1 comment:

  1. So it's not just the cast of the show reading the blogs!

    My favorite is Chunky Monkey, but I would give it up in a second to go on National Tour...looking forward to seeing you in the show. It seems like a very talented cast.

    Do extra well on opening night ~ I'll be there.

    Madison

    ReplyDelete