Friday, August 20, 2010

"In short, there's simply not....

...a more congenial spot, than here in Camelot!"

I couldn't agree more with the Messrs. Lerner and Loewe! It's a joy to watch this production progress with each rehearsal. There is a lot of hard work going into each scene, song, and sentence so that when we bring it to you - our audience - it, in turn, brings you something to love, something to think about, something in which to take joy.

Pardon me, I should introduce myself: I'm Sarah and I am a member of the lovely ensemble. I'm proud to stand in the midst of this incredibly talented little group. And what better way to present the glorious and tragic story of King Arthur than with an armful of people truly devoted to it. This story is, indeed, dear to my heart. As a student of literature and the English language, I fell in love with Arthurian legend (all tales related to King Arthur, Camelot, etc.). The tales of chivalry, courtly love, and loyalty make me a little bit giddy. This musical adaptation of the story takes a good long look at the relationships between lovers and the loved. In fact, this show is entirely about relationships and how we handle them. It is also a story of incredible hope in the face of trying circumstances. But I'll stop there, I don't want to give anything away. ;)

Anyways, I hope I didn't get to carried away there... I really love this show and this story. :) I wonder, would you be interested in some other Arthurian resources? For some pre-show reading material, I highly recommend The Once and Future King by T. H. White (if you don't have time for the whole thing, the first book - The Sword and the Stone - will do nicely) and Le Morte D'Arthur by Sir Thomas Malory. Also, here's a great internet resource for all things Camelot: The Camelot Project.

Thanks for listening and I can't wait for you to see this show!

No comments:

Post a Comment