Saturday, May 15, 2010

Sacrifices

As I ponder attending a prom after-party, I shall post. First off, this run is going by way too fast and I am not ok with it. The faster it goes, the closer it gets to days I can sleep & eat full meals & have time for chores...none of which I am familiar with. ...Or at least haven't been these last few weeks. Sometimes the "simple little things" in life get looked past for the big, shining moments. For me, it's been time spent on the stage with these folks. They're absolutely wonderful - and a nice thing to look at - onstage and off. ;)

Greg (Starbuck) informed us of a review in the newspaper. Although they didn't have anything bad to say about our production, they mentioned that this wasn't their favorite show, that there was no glitz n' glamour. But it didn't take us time at all to think - "well of course...we live in a town called Three Point, $100 bucks is just about the last amount to our name, and we don't break out into song and dance to perform for the audience." We break out into song and dance to tell a story. And it is so moving that even we, as actors, often feel the emotion and start to cry (in character, of course) onstage. It's a unique show. And if you see it, you will have a wonderful experience. You might not rave about the performance after, because quite frankly, you could be speechless from the moving story you just watched. Might I add that I have never been involved in a production quite like this, and it took me some time to get used to performing in such an intimate environment where I wasn't performing for someone. We're performing to make art -- to tell a story. Our reactions, our feelings, our lines...they're all reactions to what has been said or done. Nothing is a performance, we're experiencing onstage. Which is why blocking can change on different occasions, emotions can be more intensified, and our characters might vary slightly depending on another's line delivery or reaction.

So we've created this big family - again both on and offstage - and we've brought it to life every night. Sorry, Peaches, you might not have felt the spirit, but by goodness, you're one of few. I personally can't wait for Chris (our director) to see the show on closing - I really hope he makes it. Throughout the run, his biggest desire for all of us was to create a family that never stops changing, that isn't platonic and rehearsed. He even said once he didn't care if we end up at a different spot every night, as long as it was for a purpose...if we felt in the moment, and it was genuine. It takes talent and quite a bit of experience to be able to rely on your actors so much that you're rehearsing changes night after night.

Thanks Gregory, for bringing this review to our attention. It makes me even prouder that we can confidently say, "What show did you see, Peaches?" And if we didn't say it...we were thinking it. Also, it's nice I can give you credit for something, considering you only get made fun of whenever Josh posts.

After this, I have officially decided against the after-prom-party, and I might go take some "emotional time-out" and cry thinking about Old Maid again. (Josh, once again, you are partially to blame for this.)

And just...thank you to all of you... for making missing prom the easiest sacrifice I've ever had to make. I'm so dang proud to be in this show, it's truly a blessing.

Love and fairy dust for a special show tomorrow! (Curry will provide.) ;)

~Madison

2 comments:

  1. What an amazing comment, Madison. You simply amaze me with your insight. You CAN"T be only 16! And yes, I am proud of how you all brought your talent along for this ride and lived these people and this show moment to moment. The rain came!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last night, we finish "The Rain Song" and I come downstairs to see lightning, and tonight we end with rain. What could be better, really? Moments I'll remember for a lifetime.

    Thank you Chris...
    and cast.

    You're all beyond amazing to me...what an experience!

    ReplyDelete