Monday, May 10, 2010

Opening Weekend

Most of the blogs that I have written thus far have been written with comedic intent. I would like to step away from that for just a moment...

I can't say that I do theater to impact other people. I do it because I enjoy doing it. I enjoy the people and the atmosphere. I have had a wonderful time being part of this made up world where people break out into song. I have found much joy with this production. I think, however, for the first time this weekend, this show made me feel awful. It was nothing the cast or crew did. But the response that it evoked from a friend who came to see the show.

We talked in the lobby. She told me she was brought to tears. I wasn't particularly surprised to hear this, expecting them to be tears of joy from the ending. She agreed with this. As the tears began to well up in her eyes again, she also told me that Lizzie's song "Old Maid" hit a little close to home. She had to stop. I couldn't talk to her anymore. It never occurred to me she was that lonely. This breaks my heart.

I am lucky to be part of a production that has this capability. I reminded that as performers we are lucky to be able to shake off some of the harder aspects of life that we must face on stage at the end of the night. Our audience may not have that luxury.

A bittersweet note on an otherwise wonderful opening weekend.

Let the rain come...

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this, Josh. This show has the capability to speak to people on an array of different levels, depending on their situation. I, for one, would never cal the ending joyful... in fact, it always fills me with a sadness I find hard to describe (despite the joyous singing in the rain moment)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wholeheartedly agree with Carine. One of the things that I love about this show is its ability to provoke a visceral response, even if it's an uncomfortable one. The first time I heard Jenn sing "Old Maid," I bawled. A month later and I still found myself having that same gut reaction at Sunday's sound check. Maybe that's why I cry at the end of the show-- that cathartic release of all the emotion that builds up over the course of two hours. The final moments of the show aren't "happy" per se, but they're incredibly human.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Expect there to be even more tears come Friday. Britt surely understands.

    ReplyDelete