Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Taking time to talk to us from our local watering hole...

Greetings to all. As you may or may not know, my name is Peter, and I'm performing the parts of Greylag and Drake.

A little background about me: I grew up in Seattle (went to Roosevelt High School), but a little over six years ago I decided to go to Texas for college (I know, I know...). After that I spent a year and a quarter on the East Coast working with a couple different theatre companies, and then moved back to Seattle just over a year ago.

In the past six months I've started looking for theatre work around town again, and so it seemed perfectly natural to audition for SMT, with its reputation for presenting strong musical theatre pieces. Working on Honk for the past month and a half has been a complete blast. If I had to say one thing that surprised me, it was the stuffing (not the Thanksgiving kind, talk to John about that). I knew that we were going to be padded, but when we actually had it all on, it forced a lot more changes to my physicality than I was expecting.

My favorite moment from opening weekend may seem a little odd to some, but I actually like it when things go just a little wrong. It forces me to think outside of the ruts that I may have gotten into and live in the moment fully. I'm not going to talk about the specific moment, but suffice it to say that something small happened, and it was enough to force that moment of new creation that can sometimes be hard to find in a show that you've done a dozen times. And honestly, it's when things happen that are unexpected that theatre really shines. A movie will be exactly the same no matter how many times you watch it. With live theatre, the unexpected happens, and then you get to see how the characters react to this situation that no one has ever seen before. We all try to keep those times to a minimum of course, for everyone's sanity. But when it happens, it can be a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment